This list of 19 things to get rid of in 2019 has come around because of the new year. Obviously. New year, new you and what not. For quite some time I have been interested in minimalism and simplicity.This came around because when I was 18 I left home to go to university and since then have been moving quite often.
My life was inside a suitcase and a carry on and that suited me just fine. I wasn’t a minimalist then. I did not even know about it as a concept and then I learned about The Minimalists, Mari Kondo and others which got me more and more interested in it.
When I moved to Dubai almost seven years ago I “settled” down so to speak. I moved into my own place, bought some furniture and called it a day. Unfortunately when you settle down you are also more likely to accumulate more things. Every once in a while I take stock of my place and recycle or repurpose the items which are not required anymore. My place may be simple but it contains the items which make me happy and add fulfillment to me.
Ps. No I do not sleep on a mattress in an empty room and have one chair and a table. I am still able to entertain at home and I am proud to welcome people over. My place is my oasis in this large, and rather loud city, and it is me.
Just a couple of notes before you go through this list. Firstly, when I say get rid of I mean the following: recycle, reuse, give away, swap, donate, repurpose etc. never just throw something away. There are so many other options before throwing something into the landfill. Secondly, this list is in no particular order. Thirdly, some of these may not even apply to you. Go ahead and keep the items which bring you joy and are useful in your life and try to get rid of the items which serve no purpose. We all have different items which make as happy and add value to our lives.
So enjoy the following list and let it inspire you.
19 things to get rid of in 2019
- Things from an ex or items with bad memories attached to them
- Travel nic nacs from someone else’s travels
- Extra photos both hard and soft copies
- Magazines and books you do not read anymore
- Multiples of beauty, hygiene and cleaning products (or just make sure to use them up before buying more)
- Clothes which do not fit you or your life
- Uncomfortable shoes and clothes
- Unwanted gifts
- Mangy plastic containers (replace with glass jars and containers)
- Note pads and pens in excess (keep 1 or 2 for use)
- Paper manuals (first check if available online)
- Excess produce (use up if still fine or compost if expired)
- Unused kitchen items
- Old holiday cards or birthday cards (you can make these into gift tags)
- Old note books, agendas and the like (look through them to see if there is something important and scan that page)
- Travel brochures
- Multiple vases (keep 1 small and 1 large and find a florist to give the rest)
- Ratty/stained towels and sheets (try to repurpose as rags or ask if your local animal shelter would like them)
- Old electronics (recycle these properly – you may even get some money for them!)
I will you a happy new year filled with health, happiness, success and simplicity (if that is what you want).