I love the idea of zero waste, sustainable and green living but implementing these practices in Dubai is sometimes easier said than done. So, in my own little way, I have been making changes to my own lifestyle and habits.
At first glance being sustainable in Dubai is not possible. We don’t have proper recycling pick up, no place to bring your PET bottles, and everything is only reachable by car. Right? Wrong … to a point. You also need to look at what you as a consumer are doing.
Let’s talk about shopping:
When I mean shopping I include both clothing and grocery shopping. Here are my tips:
1. Carry a small reusable shopping bag with you. Mine folds up to the size of a card deck and I always have it in my work purse
- I used this for quick grocery runs as well as when I purchase other things. I noticed that store bags just pile up and often get binned if not reused. So yes, clothes will go in it as well.
2. Bring reusable produce bags and large sized shopping bags when grocery shopping
- I got my reusable produce bags from Organic Foods & Cafe for AED29 which had four smaller sized mesh bags and one large sized mesh bags
- Large shopping bags are available at most grocery stores so invest in one or two depending on your needs and keep them, together with your reusable mesh bags, in the car or at the front door for when you do your grocery run
3. Look at the packaging
- Do not bag things twice. For example, I never understood why people would bag a banana bunch. Just put the sticker on it and that is enough. If I buy one pomegranate or one grapefruit I also do not bag it. Does it have a handle? There is also no need to bag it.
- Look at if items are prepackaged. Can you chop garlic yourself? Cut up your own watermelon? Then try that instead of purchasing it already done.
- Buy in bulk. The larger stores like Carrefour, Union Coop and Organic Foods & Cafe have bulk sections so try those out. If you are worried about nuts going rancid then leave them in the fridge and use as needed. Obviously do not buy in bulk if you know you will not be able to use up something by the time it expires. Which brings me to my next topic. The eating. Click the link to read more.