Being Swiss (and Canadian, eh!) I am often asked “What to do in Zürich?” or something along those lines. Zürich is one of my favourite cities in the world and this is without bias. The city is filled with gorgeous views, delightful nooks and crannies as well as delicious restaurants and cafes in which you can relax. Below I have shared some of my top tips for this gorgeous city but please feel free to add some places below.
Cafes – What to do in Zürich
1. Cafe Schober – Zürich institution, delicious Streusel Kuchen! Across from it is also a gorgeous old style dry goods store
2. Brezelkönig beside Globus (and other locations) – amazing pretzels and during December Globus also has a mini Christmas market (have a Glühwein!)
3. Sternen Grill – if you need to warm up when down by the lake grab a Bratwurst and Bürli here
4. Läderach – my favourite chocolates come from here (also try the Gottlieberhüppen!)
5. Sprüngli – also amazing chocolate and lovely, though busy, cafe
Dining – What to do in Zürich
1. Zum Kropf – can be a wee bit difficult to find but so worth it. Try to get something in the back though
2. Zeughauskeller – what is a Germanic country without a beerhall?
3. Raclette Stube – because cheese and Switzerland is just something you have to do if you are not dairy free
4. Neumarkt – another favourite of mine down a side street in the old town
Sites – What to do in Zürich
1. Swiss National Museum – perfect for a rainy day
2. Grossmünster – 12th century cathedral and in the Niederdörfli
Recommended areas to visit in Zürich
1. Niederdörfli – great for wandering this pin will put you in the middle of it
2. Schipfe – takes you along the Limmat Quai
3. Lindenhof – “above” Schipfe gives a nice view over Zürich
4. Bahnhofstrasse – the shopping street in Zürich, connects direct from the main train station (Zürich HB) lovely in the winter evening
5. Christmas time tip! Swarovski Tree in Zürich HB! There is also a traditional Christmas Market there. Speaking of Christmas markets make sure to buy some Grittibänz or make your own.
Extra: Where to go outside of Zürich
Switzerland, in general, is a gorgeous country to visit. From the craggy mountains in the Jura, to the tourist favourite of Interlaken and the Italian style Ticino there is something for everyone.
If you are looking for a day trip then I can recommend Rapperswil which is also on the lake of Zürich but it contains a Hapsburg castle! Rapperswil is a special little town and, with its direct train and ferry connection makes for the ideal day trip location. Here you can not only find the Hapsburg Castle but also the deer garden, rose garden, lovely old town with some great restaurants and shops and a wonderful walk along the lake.
Some more websites of note
Zurich Tourism – for everything about the region
Switzerland Tourism – the official tourism website for Switzerland
SBB – public transport is brilliant. Use the website to plan and book
Want some facts about Switzerland? Click here